Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Two tools for tracking search keyword placement

I've been working over the past few months on better search-engine results for several key phrases related to KidPub. There are two tools that I'm using to help track them:


SheerSEO
This site monitors weekly changes in placement of search results on Google and Yahoo. It's currently free to sign up. You can track a large number of search phrases, and the results are shown in an easy to understand table. You can also export the results to a Excel file. Here's a snip of a recent report:




You can see that 'kids stories' is moving up nicely, from 37th spot to 24th. You can also see that 'publish my story' doesn't point to KidPub's home page, which I need to fix.

SheerSEO's service runs once per week and sends an email to you when new results are ready. You can add or remove search terms at any time.

You can see a position chart for each phrase on either Yahoo or Google:



I think that this is really useful information, and it saves me the trouble of having to track and chart a spreadsheet full of keywords. I can measure the effect of changes I make on KidPub, both positive and negative, and know when I can stop tweaking.

SEOBook Rank Checker
For spot checks I like to use SEOBook's Rank Checker, which is an add-on for Firefox. You can grab it from the SEOBook site. Even though it does offer historical information, I tend to use it when I want to know how a particular keyword is standing on Google or Yahoo (it also does Live Search). There's a scheduling option that will run the checker periodically for you in the background.

The results are typically identical to SheerSEO's.

Both tools give you a great bit of intel on how your SEO work is progressing, and you can quickly see if something has either gone wrong (fix it!) or is working well (duplicate it!). This level of detail might seem overwhelming, but remember, half to three-quarters of your site's traffic is probably coming from Google and Yahoo, so it make sense to pay attention to search reult positioning!

No comments:

Post a Comment